Saturday, February 11, 2012

Turning Deals Into Meals - Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

If you're a Harris Teeter shopper, you might have noticed this week's meal deal; 1 dozen eggs, Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage, Pillsbury Grands Biscuits, and Tropicana Orange Juice, all for $5.99 (before coupons). This deal is available through Tuesday evening, 2/14.



I purchased the meal deal on Friday, using a $1.00 off Tropicana catalina coupon, a $0.75 off Johnsonville coupon (Sunday insert), which doubled to $1.50, and a $0.30 off two Pillsbury biscuits coupon (Sunday insert), which doubled to $0.60. Using my coupons, I was able to get all of the meal deal items for $3.19 (I'm figuring $0.30 of the Pillsbury coupon counted toward the meal deal). This is less than the regular price of just the Tropicana.

With the meal deal items in house, we should have been set for a big weekend breakfast...but...we woke up this morning, and the hubs was craving cinnamon rolls. Not part of the meal deal. Not in the house.

Thank goodness for the internet, because it helped turn my HT deal into a cinnamon roll meal.

After Alex's request, I quickly hopped on Google and found a food blogger's recipe for biscuit dough cinnamon rolls. It was a simple recipe, using canned biscuit dough and baking ingredients that I almost always have in the house.

The original blogger has some much prettier pictures. :)

The recipe, from Healthy and Homemade, follows. Her words are in black. My recipe notes are in red.


Biscuit Dough Cinnamon Rolls:
  • 1 can of biscuits - I used Pillsbury Grands
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1.5 tablespoons cinnamon
  • finely chopped pecans - Skipped this because we didn't have any in the house
  • for the glaze: 1/2 cup confectioners sugar + 1-2 tablespoons milk + vanilla extract
Preparation & Cooking Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Open the tube of dough, take one biscuit and roll that into a long cylinder. Dredge the dough through the melted butter and into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll that up and place in a buttered glass or ceramic baking dish. Follow the same steps with the remaining biscuits. Top the rolls with the chopped pecans (skipped this). You should have excess butter and cinnamon sugar (although I really don't know because I didn't measure), combine in your bowl and reheat if it isn't runny enough. I didn't have extra butter and needed to melt a little more. Pour the buttery mixture over the cinnamon rolls and bake for 20 minutes. After removing from oven, brush the glaze onto the rolls and let cool until ready to serve.





2 comments:

  1. I came over to say Hi--following the new Linky Follow tool. I hope you will come by www.ItsSoVeryCheri.com and follow me as well.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheri. I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete