Tonight's dinner was Cajun Chicken Pasta. It's a recipe I've adapted from Allrecipes, using frozen, chopped bell peppers and a rotisserie chicken to make it a quicker and easier meal. The recipe follows.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
1/2 package linguini (I stock up when I find boxes for $0.50 or less)
Cajun Seasoning (I prefer to make my own - recipe found here)
2 T butter or margarine
2-3 chopped green onions
1 to 1 1/2 bell peppers chopped or sliced (Anything under $1 is a great price. Stock up, cut, and freeze)
1/2 package sliced mushrooms (I leave these out when I don't have them or they're too expensive)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t lemon pepper (left this out because we're out)
2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken (use this $1 off printable at any grocery store that sells Tyson brand)
1 cup heavy cream (I've tried lighter creams - it doesn't turn out the same)
- Prepare Cajun seasoning according to recipe.
- Chop green onions, bell peppers, and chicken. Set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine in large skillet. Saute peppers until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- While peppers are cooking, cook linguini according to package. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water when draining.
- Season chicken to taste with Cajun seasoning. Add chicken to skillet and let heat for a minute or two.
- Add heavy cream, basil, salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Add additional Cajun seasoning to taste. Stir in green onions. Heat through.
- Add cooked linguini. Stir to coat pasta. If sauce is too thick, add small amounts of reserved water. Heat through.
Reader Response: Do you have any favorite recipe shortcuts, like using rotisserie chicken? Please share!