Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Feel Like Chicken

It's Sunday, and in the South, that means you need to get your chicken fix somewhere other than my beloved Chick-fil-A. I think this is the appropriate time, then, to share with you one of my most frequently used grocery coupons.



I came across this gem a few months ago, and I've been using it nearly every week since. Here is a link for $2.00 off Tyson Rotisserie Chicken, which is the brand many grocery stores sell. I know for certain that it can be used at Kroger. Most weeks, this will get you a chicken at Kroger for $2.99. During sale weeks, using the coupon, I've gotten them for as little as $0.99! If you find a good price, think about buying more than one, taking the meat off the bone, and freezing it. The meat freezes and thaws very well!

The coupon is a PDF file, which means you can print it as many times as you'd like. I capture the image, insert it into a word document, and print a page of four coupons.

As a little extra, here are some of my favorite uses for rotisserie chicken, along with a money saving recipe tip or two.

Fajitas - Buy bell peppers when they are cheap ($1 or less). Cut them and freeze for future recipes.

Cajun Chicken Pasta - Introduced by a wonderful friend and cook after Nolan was born. You can substitute rotis. chicken to save time. Use peppers you have stocked in the freezer for another time saver! Sometimes, we'll leave out the mushrooms or green onions, if I don't have them on hand. Still yummy!

Chicken Quesadillas  

Stir Fry - Add a cup or so of chicken, after you have cooked the veggies. It will just take a minute to  warm the meat. Don't have stir fry sauce? Check your fridge and cabinets for ingredients like soy sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, and garlic. You can easily whip up your own sauce using ingredients you keep stocked at home. I usually throw a few ingredients together, taste, and tweak.

Panini Sandwiches - Experiment with varieties! I enjoy chicken, pesto, mozzarella, and tomato. We make them quickly using our trusty Foreman Grill.  :)

Salads - Throw a few pieces onto a salad to add some protein to lunch or a light dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment