Next week Saturday, November 26, following Black Friday, comes Small Business Saturday. Sponsored in part by American Express, this day is an effort to increase consumer support for small, local businesses. While you probably have plans to support the retail giants on the day after Thanksgiving, I urge you to shop local on 11/26/11!
Where could you go? I'm happy to point you in the direction of some of my local Durham favorites (many will be featured in future 'Durham Favorites' posts). Follow the links provided to find locations and hours.
Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch (all casual dining and family friendly)
- Guglhupf - in love with their German bakery and unique outdoor seating
- Parker and Otis - coffee + chocolate + deli + gourmet groceries + gifts + wine = one amazing store
- Scratch - Fantastic breakfast and lunch, as well as pie with a national reputation
- Toast - yummy Italian style sandwiches in a downtown setting
- Nosh - can't get enough of their egg and cheese biscuits! Very kid friendly with games and books around the restaurant.
- Dulce Cafe - one of my "Durham Favorites" - great coffee, baked goods, and gelato
- Bull City Burger and Brewery - simple food, great beer brewed in house, play area for kids
- Nana Taco - Mexican fare by the chefs of Nana's
- Geer Street Garden - Southern staples with a twist, located in a remodeled auto shop
- Pop's Backdoor Pizza - wood fired pizza, sandwiches, and drinks, play area for the kids
- Only Burger - storefront for the owners of the food truck of the same name
- Durham area food trucks - from Korean to tacos and sausages, area food trucks offer a little bit of everything - use Twitter to find their current locations
- Ox and Rabbit - old time soda fountain, milkshakes, gifts, and a large selection of baby items
- Magpie - reasonably priced women's clothing and accessories
- Fifi's Fine Resale - resale shop featuring large discounts on designer clothing and accessories for women, prices of items in store longer than 30 days drop by 50%
- Morgan Imports - a little bit of this, a little bit of that - apparel, home goods, off beat gifts, knick knacks, and more!
Reader Response: Do you have a favorite local shop you plan to visit on Small Business Saturday?