Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Leave No Extra Bucks Behind


I haven't been doing much, well really, any, shopping at CVS in recent weeks. I haven't been too impressed with the sales, and after surveying our bathroom closet, and seeing a stockpile that should last us well into 2016 (give or take), I decided that it was really time to take a break from buying body wash and the like. So when I was cleaning out my coupon binder the other day, I realized that I had $4.48 in CVS Extra Bucks, which were set to expire tomorrow, as well as $4 Extra Bucks expiring in a few weeks.

Not one to leave Extra Bucks unused (hey, they're free money!), I needed a shopping plan. ASAP.

I could walk into CVS and just spend $4.48 on random items, but I like to shop with a bit more savvy. My goal was helped along when I received an e-mail yesterday from from CVS, giving me a coupon for $5 off a minimum $25 purchase (PRE-COUPONS). OK, now I could get creative.

We were in need of diapers, and I saw that Pampers big boxes (80 ct.) are on sale this week for $18.99, with $4 Extra Bucks back. I also had a $1 Pampers coupon. $18.99 would not put me at the minimum $25 to use my $5 off coupon, though. I would need to add more to my cart.

I realized that I had a coupon for FREE Sauve Dry Shampoo (up to $3.00 off), on sale for $3.49. This would bring me to $22.48. Close, but not quite $25. Coupons for free products are perfect to use at CVS when you have a coupon for $5 off $25 or $4 off $20. Free item coupons help you raise your total so you are able to reach the minimum purchase amount, but they do not add to your out of pocket expense.

With about $2.50 left to spend, I saw that American Greeting Cards were offering $3 Extra Bucks when you bought three cards. Cards priced at $0.99 were included! I decided to pick up three. This brought my pre-tax total to $25.45. Perfect.



Now it was time for savings! Here's a breakdown.

I bought:
Pampers Cruisers (80 ct.) - $18.99
Sauve Dry Shampoo - $3.49
3 American Greeting Cards - $2.97

Pre-Coupon Total = $25.45

- $5 off $25 CVS coupon (check your e-mail for one if you've signed up for e-mails)
= $20.45

- $1.00 off Pampers (Manufacturer Coupon from baby home mailer)
- $3.00 off Dry Shampoo (free product coupon from Sauve promo)
= $16.45

- $4.48 Extra Bucks
- $4.00 Extra Bucks (decided to use them all)
= $7.97 + tax = $9.35 OOP
AND I earned $7.00 in Extra Bucks ($4.00 and $3.00)

No comments:

Post a Comment