Friday, November 11, 2011

Durham Favorites Friday - Dulce Cafe

This is the first in a new series of blog posts I plan to title "Durham Favorites." These posts will highlight some of my favorite Durham spots, including places for food, shopping, and entertainment.

Durham Favorites - Dulce Cafe - 5826 Fayetteville Rd. Durham



When I moved to the Woodcroft area in South Durham, I immediately noticed the lack of a local coffee shop. If I drove a few miles down the road, I had my pick of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts locations, but there was nothing around that compared to the small, independent shops I had spent hours sitting in when I lived in Madison. This past May, Dulce Cafe opened in Sutton Station (same area as Bocci, Nantucket, and Bella Trio Salon) filling that void.

Dulce is a bakery/cafe. When it first opened this spring, its primary focus was on coffee, gelato, and baked goods (muffins, cakes, cupcakes, tarts, etc.). Since then, they have slowly built a small, but fantastic, menu of breakfast and lunch items.

Before cutting back on my spending, I seemed to be visiting Dulce 3-4 times a week, grabbing a latte and muffin. Though I've cut back some, it's still my go to coffee shop, and I think it will likely become one of my go to lunch places as well. I've already been twice this week (oops to spending)...I just can't resist their pumpkin muffins! The cafe has a relaxed, more adult atmosphere, but the owners LOVE kids and are always excited to see the baby when we walk in. One day, as I was packing up to leave after Nolan started screaming, one owner came over to tell me to stay, that we weren't being a bother. So, while Dulce may not look kid friendly, it certainly is.

The staff is welcoming and attentive, the food is yummy, and the location, next to the American Tobacco Trail, is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a treat following a walk. Whether you live on the south side of town or a bit further away, Dulce is more than worthy of a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment