Monday, December 5, 2011

Understanding Overage

If you haven't yet printed the coupon for $3.00 off one Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs, I suggest you do so. Not only will you be able to snag a free box, but you will also have a chance to try your hand at using overage.

Overage is sometimes given by a store when the value of a coupon exceeds the price of an item. For example, the bread crumbs are on sale at Target for $1.97 (found in the Asian food section), but the coupon states $3.00 off. If you are lucky, Target will give you the additional $1.03 to be applied to the rest of your items. Not all Target stores will give overage. Some will adjust the coupon to the price of the item. ALL Walmart stores will give overage, either applying it to the price of other items, or giving you cash back!

I shopped at Target today, using two coupons for panko crumbs. This gave me $2.06 in overage. I also had two $2.00 off Kashi coupons (from Recyclebank - use back browser arrow to print two), which would make granola bars $0.99 a box. I decided to buy two boxes. This left me with $0.08 of overage. I needed tomato sauce for dinner this week, so I bought one can and had the $0.08 applied toward the cost. Oh, and I paid for the balance of my bill with my Ebates Target gift card! No money out of pocket. :)

If you were to use the Kikkoman coupon, the overage could be used for any other product you wanted to buy. Buying other items matched with coupons simply stretches your money further.

Have you ever tried using overage from coupons???


In case you're interested, the Snickers pictured were FREE at Walgreens. They are on sale two for $1.00. There is a coupon for $1.00 off two (click get coupon), which makes them free. You are able to print two coupons per computer, making four free candy bars per computer. These would be great stocking stuffers!

No comments:

Post a Comment