Monday, January 30, 2012

Mom/_______

It's amazing how quickly the mind and body move on from vacation mode. It's been about 48 hours since we left Sanibel Island, and it already feels a world away.

I told you that I planned to unplug while I was on vacation. No blog posts, no deal finding. I went a week and a half without both....and it felt great. The 85 degree weather and sun on my back as I sat poolside, sipping a drink, undoubtedly played their part, but I know that the feeling of relaxation certainly came from setting aside my coupons (and this blog).

I love writing.

This blog has been an outlet for that, though not exactly the writing content that gets me excited to get back to the keyboard. While on vacation, it was suggested that I pursue my writing, consider penning a book, write articles about topics that light a fire in me, write about things that truly interest me.

The problem is, I have no idea what those things are.

For the past six years or so, school has been my life. At night and on weekends, I spent my free time lesson planning, unit creating, behavior strategizing. School was what I lived and breathed. It was my reality, and honestly, it always felt like there was little time to explore much else.

Now I'm a stay at home mom. Suddenly, I'm not a teacher. That part of my identity has been stripped away. Something that defined me for so long is just gone. I'm a mom...and I love it...but it still feels like I need something more, something that helps round me out, you could say. I'm a mom. I'm not a mom/teacher. I feel a longing for a word to place on the right side of that backslash.

Mom/_______?

No comments:

Post a Comment