Tonight's dinner was an on the fly, from my head concoction, made in an effort to use up some ingredients that have been hanging out in the fridge for a while.
The final creation was linguini with bacon, caramelized onions, spinach, and cream. It was an easy meal to toss together, and I actually did some of the prep work earlier in day (while baby napped), making dinner time a breeze.
2 onions, thinly sliced
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 bag spinach
1/2 cup cream (I used 1/4 cup heavy cream + 1/4 cup skim milk)
1/2 package pasta of your choice (I used linguini)
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Bake six slices of bacon at 400 degrees for just over 10 minutes (thicker slices will need longer). Be sure to line the baking sheet with foil - easier clean up! After the bacon has cooled, crumble it, and put in the fridge until ready to prepare meal. Reserve ~ 1 tablespoon of bacon fat for later use.
- Wilt 3/4 to 1 bag of spinach. Add spinach to a hot skillet with a small amount of water. Cover and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Drain spinach, squeeze to remove excess water. Transfer to a dish and refrigerate until ready to prepare meal.
- Thinly sliced two onions. Add olive oil a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add onions and cook at least 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow onions to brown - until they look like this...
- Cover onions and refrigerate until ready to prepare meal.
When ready to eat...
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat large frying pan over medium heat. Add rendered bacon fat (or other fat of your choice).
- Add bacon, spinach, and onions to skillet. Stir to warm.
- Add cream and pasta, stir. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Plate and top with a small amount of parmesan cheese.
Check me out on Facebook!
Like the reipce? Pin it!