Monday, April 16, 2012

Turning Deals into Meals - Homemade Pizza



I love throwing together a homemade pizza, mimicking my favorite combos from restaurants for a fraction of the price.

I mentioned that I stopped by Trader Joe's a few days ago. While most of the items I picked up weren't true deals, the whole wheat pizza crust I bought definitely was. At about $1/crust, it was a great price for the type of product.

I bought it with toppings that were already in my fridge in mind - kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, feta, onions, and pesto - a Greek pizza of sorts.

There was nothing revolutionary about this meal, but it sure was tasty. The great thing about homemade pizza, is you can easily adjust the ingredients I used to fit what's already in your house.

So here you go, my "recipe."

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (I used Trader Joe's)
Pesto
Shredded Italian Blend or Mozzarella Cheese
Kalamata Olives - chopped
Roasted Red Peppers - chopped
caramelized onions (see directions below)
feta

Directions:

  • Thinly slice one onion. Add olive oil a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add onions and cook at least 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, allowing onions to brown until they look like this...

  • Prepare pizza crust as directed. Top evenly with pesto and shredded cheese.
  • Add olives, red peppers, onions, and feta to taste.
  • Bake according to crust directions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment