Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Can CVS Do for You?

I just got back from my weekly CVS trip, and I wanted to share a post of encouragement, showing you just how much CVS pays off, given a little time and persistence.

For those of you who haven't been reading this blog since its inception, let me rewind and tell you how I began my CVS shopping. I started in mid-July, purchasing about $20 worth of diapers and contact solution. These purchases earned me $8 in Extra Bucks, which is CVS rewards currency. These Extra Bucks can be used on any future store purchases, excluding stamps and alcohol.

I've been rolling these Extra Bucks ever since. Most weeks, I purchase one or two items, using Extra Bucks as payment. I focus on finding items that I will actually use, that offer most or all of the purchase price back in Extra Bucks. I skip weeks when the sales are lackluster or the big sales are simply things we would never use in our house. As a personal goal, I try to pay as little out of pocket as possible for each transaction. Most weeks, by using coupons and Extra Bucks, I reduce my bill to $0.00, only paying sales tax. Since my initial buy in of diapers, I have not spent more than $5.00 at CVS in any given week. Even with these limits, I have managed to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of products.

As of this morning, I had $21 Extra Bucks in hand from previous purchases. I also had $2 Extra Bucks from the CVS promo mentioned here a few days ago, AND I had $3.50 Extra Bucks from my quarterly 3% return for my CVS spending. (Honestly, I have no idea how I earned $3.50, as I hardly spent any money this quarter.) Altogether, this gave me $26.50 EBs to work with.

We were running low on toilet paper and laundry detergent, and this week's ad offered $10 for spending $30 on select Procter and Gamble products, including Charmin, Bounty, Puffs, and Gain detergent. I calculated that using coupons and Extra Bucks, I could get these items FREE and earn back $10 EB.

Here's a look at my haul (also got free gum and makeup), including a break down of coupons used.

CVS Transaction 10/2

Charmin Ultra Strong (16 rolls) - regular price $15.99, on sale for $10.00
- $0.25 Q (10/2 P&G insert)
= $9.75

Bounty Paper Towels (8 rolls) - regular price $12.79, on sale for $7.49
- $0.25 Q (10/2 P&G insert)
= $7.24

Puffs - regular price $1.50, on sale for $0.99

Gain Detergent - regular price $8.49, on sale for $5.97x2 = $11.94
- 2/$2Q off Tide or Gain Powder Detergent (9/11 Smart Source)
=$7.94

CoverGirl Blush - regular price $4.99 - on sale buy one get one 50% off = $7.48 for both
- $8/2 Q (P&G insert 10/2)
= FREE ( + $0.52 overage)

Rain Gum - regular price $1.57, on sale for $1.00

Total after coupons = $26.40
- $26.50 Extra Bucks
= -$0.10 (was applied to sales tax) + $2.25 sales tax = $2.15 OOP
+ $10 EB for future purchases


My receipt says that I saved $59, for a 96.5% savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment